Saturday, August 21, 2010

food

I spent a record obscene amount at the grocery store stocking up on dry grains, canned beans, spices and other pantry basics. I also bought a cookbook on economic vegan cooking. I am determined to have more options for us when Mike comes back. We scored recently with a couscous & olive oil recipe that rocked my world - so now I'm going to play with more things.

In the next couple of weeks I will make:
My own hummus
white bean aioli
walnut mushroom pate
sweet basil pesto tapenade
Rustic white beans and mushrooms
French Lentil soup with tarragon & thyme
Rosemary Focaccia
Veggie Chili & Skillet cornbread
sauteed spinach and tomatoes
stir fried leafy greens
pasta e fagiolo
and some baked goods...

I also picked TWELVE POUNDS of strawberries today - so I have 2 batches of Mexican Strawberry water marinating in the fridge and am going to try and figure out what to do with the rest now!

5 comments:

  1. I did the sangria last time and it didn't come out. The mexican water is the same, but without the wine. Maybe I just need a better sangria recipe - and someone to drink it with - cause that made A LOT last time alone.

    So far, the mushroom pate was easy, now let's just hope after sitting it tastes better than the baby poop it looks like. I'm making the rustic white beans and baked green beans tonight I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mushroom pate is questionable and ample - I brought it to work. I don't think I'll make it again unless I can figure out what it's missing.

    The rustic white beans are good - I'm eating them for lunch now. If I can just remember to plan ahead, I think I'll make a lot of beans this year. Cheap and easy and yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'll ever buy hummus again. Oh my god - it's SO EASY AND CHEAP and so delish and customizable to a particular taste and I have a ton. Best new recipe so far. I think this may be my new pot luck thing. Now I just need to find a place to get really good fresh pita bread.

    I am also really becoming addicted to couscous and stir fried veggies - tonight I made a giant mix of corn cut off the cob, green beans, mushrooms, carrots, celery, zucchini, and onion. Now I can take that with me and have it with various things for my camping trip, even in burritos.

    ReplyDelete