Monday, September 6, 2010

baking question

ok, so the cookies turned out... uhm, gluten, dairy and wheat-free tasting. really, the 2 problems i'm finding right now are lack of sweetness - for which i think i have a cure - and dryness, which i have no idea how to cure.

any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. ugh. they kinda stuck in my system. they're not even quite at my stomach yet. maybe i shouldn't be in the "trying to make healthy food taste good" market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is in the recipe? I have ideas. Healthy food does not need to be tasteless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wheat and gluten free flour, brown rice syrup, almond oil (was supposed to be grapeseed oil, but i couldn't find that at the co-op), 1 beaten egg, dash of salt.

    i'm going to add a bit of stevia for sweetness, but i don't know what to do about the dry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agave nectar is also a good sweetener. I'm going to check my new awesome gluten-free cookbook when I get home and I'll give you some ideas.

    I'm a huge fan of the post punk kitchen - check these wheat free ones:
    http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=149

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, 2nd attepmt MUCH more successful. added 1/4 tsp of stevia and used 2 egg yolks instead of 1 whole egg. MUCH more palatable.
    next week we'll try it all with baking soda to see if the cookies actually brown this time or not. :)

    ReplyDelete