tell me about the cars that you drove! what you like, what you don't like, what things are swaying your decisions, why you test drove the ones you did, what your thoughts in general are.
i'm curious - it's not often people get to go car shopping. :)
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I did some emailing with the Subaru guy, so that's where we started on Sunday. I drove a 2011 Impreza and a 2006 Legacy. They say they can get me out the door in the Impreza for under 20k, but I'm very nervous about the high price of it. I really would rather be much closer to the 15k of my budget to be comfortable. I loved it's pep and sexy styling. I did not like the tiny barely room for adults back seat (neither did Mike who sat there) and I don't like the sack around the e-brake, but that's just a silly me thing. The only model they have has a light color interior. I also am not sure if I quite understand the shifting thing. The salesmen were fan-freaking-tastic. I got great feelings all around. I would feel comfortable buying from them. I do not like the gas mileage or environmental impact scores. With my plan being road tripping in this baby, 10mpg difference between this and the elantra is a hell of a difference.
ReplyDeleteThen we walked on to the lot across the street at Hyundai and I immediately wished I had set an appointment and done some ground work there - because the guy we got was lame, grumpy and not very encouraging about my experience. I didn't like the steering wheel on the model I drove, (The GLS) but I just emailed a bunch of dealers about their more upscale model that has a different steering wheel. I love the gas mileage, that I can get a Partial Zero Emissions version. It felt solid and I loved how comfy the seats were. The first thing I said when I saw it was "but it looks so much more like a mom car." I like the features that are standard on this, and the warranty.
I have decided my next steps are:
-Don't rush. I've waited a long time for this, and I have until November 12 before the loan expires.
-Take a day off to clear my hear. (Ha, this isn't happening, as I google and google.)
-Test drive a Toyota even though I am sure it's out of the running, but I think it will help me notice more of the differences.
-See if I can find some compromise between the expensive sexy fast power of the subaru and the gas friendly cheapness of the mom car. Can I have some sexiness and some enviro friendly or do I have to pick?
-Test drive more elantras but not with that other dealer.
-Once I'm sure these are the 2 I'm going for, Apply for credit with both Hyundai and Elantra guys and have them price out the exact model I'm going to get, and see what the monthly payments work out to on both.
-Sleep on it one more time.
i like your next steps. very adult and well thought out. :)
ReplyDeleteand, you know, the camry is a kind of mom car too, so at least you'll have a kind of milf-y cougar-y mom car if you go with the elantra.
i think you should look into the nissans if you want to get some sex with your "mom car-ness". mostly though, you're going to have to pick one or the other.
why is it that you haven't looked more closely into the toyotas if you love your camry so much? just curious. :)
My friend at Kelley Blue Book hooked me up with a Hyundai dealer down south, and he's working out an awesome deal for me. If he can match or beat the internet quote I got from the dealer up here, and get me a lower finance rate, it's probably a done deal.
ReplyDeleteAfter a few days back in the real world comparing $450/month in car expenses to something closer or over $600/month, when I pay $950/month in rent just seems silly. (That's including insurance.) The problem for me right now is the new model comes out in January, and it would be better to wait, and my car could certainly wait (but probably not make road trips), but I am so scared I won't get a new loan that I feel like I have to act now (and then I can make road trips). I've explained this to Jim, and am waiting to see what he says. Maybe he can run my credit application and let me know if waiting will be a problem. (They may say they can't finance me and I have to take the loan I have, or he could say financing me is no problem and I can pick up my car in January - though that model is slightly more expensive, it is 100 times sexier and less mom car like, and is rated very highly for many things in early reviews.) If the guy can work me up a good offer on the 2010 SE model (I drove the GLS) and get me one with bluetooth, I think I'm going to make the "smart" choice and get the Hyundai instead of Subaru. If I work hard and pay it off sooner than 5 years (say in 3), then I can look at getting a sexier car with a better interest rate and be more comfortable with payments. I need to not get carried away and find the compromise between what I lust for and that I should be happy to be getting a NEW car or a car at all.
Toyota doesn't have stellar reviews, editor or consumer, especially when stacked up to other models. The Corolla is considered strong and standard, but falls short on every list when stacked up against Hyundai and Subaru. I have to realize also that I have a fairly high end Camry and would be coming in at a more entry level Toyota. The fact that I just noticed various padded and non-plastic things in my interior and have started to appreciate them more is something to note.
that was the other thing i was going to mention about the whole process: the payments.
ReplyDeletesee, when you get this car and ANY loan that you get for it, you need to be super on top of making those payments on time. it will do wonderous wonders to your credit score. so, even if you want to keep this car forever and you maybe don't like the current rate so much, you can go back to a credit union after a year of making on time payments while working on whatever other credit stuff you have, and get a SIGNIFICANTLY lower rate. that's what i'm going to do. right now, i'm paying 10.99% (specifically because of the bankruptcy) and i'm going to refi with my credit union at the end of next year when the bankruptcy falls off and get something ridiculous like 3.5% or something like that.
i'm also looking forward to being able to buy a new couch by that time. :)
My car key BROKE OFF my key chain at the grocery store tonight. Some guy had to ask if it was mine, or I would have been frantic. I think it has odd timing.
ReplyDeletesigns! we love signs! :)
ReplyDeletewhat does it mean when the crazy feral cat won't leave me alone. it still sits in front of my door groaning every night. weirdo.
It's not the first pussy to have a crush on you, I'm sure of it. :)
ReplyDeleteha! i walked right into that one! i wish as many cocks had crushes on me as pussies do/did. :D
ReplyDelete