Monday, November 30, 2009
music in context
Has there ever been a band, that you thought you didn't like, but in the end, you heard them in a different place and context and couldn't believe you didn't like them before? I've been in the "I need to blast the black keys through my ear drums" mood this past week or two at work, and I'm finding that while I rarely found myself drawn to anything more than the trendiest of White Stripes songs in the past, in the context of this station on Pandora and my need for that raw amplified electric guitar, I'm finding they are delicious and wonderful. It is very weird, because I can remember being pretty unenthusiastic about them before, but now, wow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yes - well, it's more ALBUMS than whole bands. there are some albums that i've listened to and was initially lukewarm about - and that's saying something because i give albums BIG chances - and i put it away and found it again a year, 6 months, 3 months later and it's the best thing i've heard all year. ott's album was like that for me.
ReplyDeletei think it's all about frame of mind. i could listen to and love new music all day long, but i know that ryan and josh ritter are my "i need a musical cuddle" go tos. there are some days that i skip a wedding present song on the ipod. on purpose. THAT'S crazy for me.
that's why i'll always give most artists a couple of chances. unless they're douches.