Friday, February 4, 2011

ipad question

so, i can't find anything definitive (not surprising) about the 2nd gen ipad release date and was wondering if you had any ideas or theories as to when it is going to come out.

i'm curious because i told myself that if i followed through with selling my car and committing to public transportation, i would get myself an ipad so i can watch tv shows on the 1 hour bus ride to and from work (and school when i get there) each day.

i'm really really really thinking about doing it. as much as i love that car, it's starting to feel more like a stone around my neck with regards to my ultimate plans and goals. hm.

5 comments:

  1. I think it will be shipping in April - June/July at the latest. I expected it to be announced at MacWorld, but it wasn't, so it may be until June. If you are going to get one, you have to get it with 3G and not just wifi - it's very annoying when it's not connected, it's a glorified gaming device for me at that point. Otherwise, I love love love my iPad and I'm positive the second gen one is going to be pretty damn amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (If you want to use it as a computer tho, I highly recommend getting a wireless keyboard for it...typing on it is annoying.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to get it mainly for watching shows and reading online shite on the bus. my bus rides both to work and school will be 1 hour there and 1 hour back.
    the secondary use for it will be as a kind of computer for when i'm at school - lots lighter than lugging a laptop around and if i'm at class all day, i can answer emails or get ideas down between classes or at breaks.
    i'd been investigating the wireless keyboards and there's one that is bluetoth that will let you use it with the ipad at landsacpe instead of portrait - i think i'd have to investigate that one.

    do you think it would be overkill for me to have an iphone and ipad? i've been thinking about getting an iphone, but i'll only do it if att brings back the unlimited data plan, so i've been on the lookout for that.

    i also saw that some potential release dates for the 1st or 2nd saturday in april for the ipad, but since i didn't hear anything more about it from when they announced iphone for verizon, i wasn't sure if it was happening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have use for both my iPad and my iPhone.
    I love taking it to conferences and taking notes with it - there is some awesome writing apps I've heard people in the office talk about, that I haven't tried - I bring my laptop to in office meetings.

    You'll find that you'll do a lot of landscape mode, some apps even are stuck in it. Badly developed apps don't even flip to rotate to the other landscape mode - it's their way or nothing. Lame. So you need flexibility.

    For keyboards - Don't get one that attaches to your pad and doubles as a stand, You'll feel restricted - everyone complains and sells them. (I know 3 people who dumped theirs, and I didn't buy it because they were nice enough to warn me.) You'll want to get cover/stand and bluetooth keyboard separate. I have neither and survive. :)

    The biggest improvements in the iPad2 that I would be excited about are the camera, and possible facetime camera that allows you to video conference on it, a USB input, and the power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are features that i'm excited about too because people like lou ask if i can "skype" them and stuff and i have to tell them now "what? you think i'm a magical wizard or something?" :) i am willing to wait for the new one to come out... that's what books are for, right?

    ReplyDelete