The shows were good. I needed them a lot to balance the weekend. I think Meg’s show was a very rare treat for me in the fact I don’t think I can remember the last time I heard Steve play an entire show unplugged. The acoustics in Meg’s living room were great, and it was just so chill and mellow. He picked a very parental appropriate playlist, and wouldn’t say naughty parts, or take lurid requests. He did a few too many instrumental songs for my taste, but it was a really amazing night for me in a lot of ways. (I have something else I wrote you back in my email reply about the show too.) It meant a lot to me to be there, and to have this to occupy my brain before going to San Diego. But it was also the night that I realized how very much I love the music that he plays, and how much BETTER he is getting and I told him how amazed I am by where he is going right now. He talked about Joel a lot. I did go to Cheers and at break I asked him what I had forgotten to the night before when I noticed he’s adding just a little something extra to the beginning of Everything About You and I love it. I love the music so much. His new songs are just much more layered and complicated and I just get entranced with how he dances his fingers on the strings. I sat on the couch and I tried to imagine the old Steve, the Steve that is 80, and how much more amazing and rambling his stories will be then. (He had a very “and then…and then…and then….” weekend of storytelling.) I’ve been falling in love with music a lot lately, it’s very weird how sentimental I am being about intangible things like the beauty of California, or the way Pandora’s John Hiatt station just makes all my days better lately.
I wasn’t going to go to Cheers and posted that on Facebook and received about a dozen text messages from Devroy demanding I go…but it was likely the scariest drive I’ve ever done in my life. I was thankfully one of the only cars going my direction both ways to Ramona from Rancho Bernardo where I was staying. I went like 25mph up and down the hill I was so scared, and had my brights on and was super tense girl. It was just not fun. The whole way there I just kept saying, if I die, then I really love these people and it’s okay, it’s worth it. It was Lisa’s birthday, but she was tired so she went home at break. It was a very long day for me too (I will write more about that elsewhere) but I really needed to hear Steve play California, so I asked him at break and told him I never ask him for anything, but I really needed this, and had to pinch myself from not crying and he said of course, and Troy got him to play it right away after break so I could leave, and he did and I had to try and not cry on the way back to the hotel. That song just means different things to me than I think he has any intention in it meaning, but musicians can’t control those things from happening.
The shows were good. I needed them a lot to balance the weekend. I think Meg’s show was a very rare treat for me in the fact I don’t think I can remember the last time I heard Steve play an entire show unplugged. The acoustics in Meg’s living room were great, and it was just so chill and mellow. He picked a very parental appropriate playlist, and wouldn’t say naughty parts, or take lurid requests. He did a few too many instrumental songs for my taste, but it was a really amazing night for me in a lot of ways. (I have something else I wrote you back in my email reply about the show too.) It meant a lot to me to be there, and to have this to occupy my brain before going to San Diego. But it was also the night that I realized how very much I love the music that he plays, and how much BETTER he is getting and I told him how amazed I am by where he is going right now. He talked about Joel a lot. I did go to Cheers and at break I asked him what I had forgotten to the night before when I noticed he’s adding just a little something extra to the beginning of Everything About You and I love it. I love the music so much. His new songs are just much more layered and complicated and I just get entranced with how he dances his fingers on the strings. I sat on the couch and I tried to imagine the old Steve, the Steve that is 80, and how much more amazing and rambling his stories will be then. (He had a very “and then…and then…and then….” weekend of storytelling.) I’ve been falling in love with music a lot lately, it’s very weird how sentimental I am being about intangible things like the beauty of California, or the way Pandora’s John Hiatt station just makes all my days better lately.
ReplyDeleteI wasn’t going to go to Cheers and posted that on Facebook and received about a dozen text messages from Devroy demanding I go…but it was likely the scariest drive I’ve ever done in my life. I was thankfully one of the only cars going my direction both ways to Ramona from Rancho Bernardo where I was staying. I went like 25mph up and down the hill I was so scared, and had my brights on and was super tense girl. It was just not fun. The whole way there I just kept saying, if I die, then I really love these people and it’s okay, it’s worth it. It was Lisa’s birthday, but she was tired so she went home at break. It was a very long day for me too (I will write more about that elsewhere) but I really needed to hear Steve play California, so I asked him at break and told him I never ask him for anything, but I really needed this, and had to pinch myself from not crying and he said of course, and Troy got him to play it right away after break so I could leave, and he did and I had to try and not cry on the way back to the hotel. That song just means different things to me than I think he has any intention in it meaning, but musicians can’t control those things from happening.